The Outline of Provisions for the Toyama International Exchange Scholarship
Toyama Prefecture provides foreign students enrolled in Japanese language institutions, technical colleges, junior colleges, universities or graduate schools within Toyama Prefecture (hereinafter referred to as educational institutions) the Toyama International Exchange Scholarship for a portion of residence and living costs in order to stabilize life for foreign students and advance research activities, as well as to promote international exchange between Toyama and other nations.
2 What Constitutes a Foreign Student?
(1) Foreign Student
A person who has exchange student resident status and is enrolled in an educational institution, or who has college student or pre-college student resident status and is enrolled in a Japanese language institution in Toyama Prefecture. However, a student of a technical college must be in their 4th or 5th year, and a student of a Japanese language institution must be a student planning on entering a university or graduate school.
(2) Private Foreign Student
All foreign students except foreign students sponsored by the Japanese or Prefectural Government, or dispatched by foreign governments.
3 Eligible Persons and Scholarship Criteria
(1) A foreign student who is not sponsored by the Japanese Government, Prefectural Government or dispatched by a foreign government and is enrolled in a degree program (4-year or 2-year degree) at an educational institution in Toyama Prefecture.
(2) A person who resides in Toyama Prefecture, and who has completed residency registration procedures in the city, town or village where he or she lives.
(3) A person who has been recognized as having the motivation to study or research.
(4) A person who if is receiving a scholarship from a private organization or the like, the monthly amount does not exceed 10,000 yen.
(1) Foreign students applying for the scholarship must present their Residence Card when submitting their scholarship application to their currently enrolled educational institution.
(2) The Toyama International Center Foundation provides the scholarships to scholarship winners through the educational institution on a quarterly basis in July, October, January, and April.
5 Amount of Provision
(1) Private Foreign Students (excluding those enrolled in Japanese language institutions), who are in their 2nd year of studies or later, or are graduate students: Monthly amount of 50,000 yen
(2) Private Foreign Students (excluding graduate students and those enrolled in Japanese language institutions) who are in their 1st year of studies: Monthly amount of 10,000 yen
(3) Students enrolled in a Japanese language institution: Monthly amount of 3,000 yen
The Outline of Toyama Prefecture's Financial Support for Attaining National Health Insurance
Toyama Prefecture will provide assistance to foreign students enrolled in Japanese language institutions, technical colleges, junior colleges, universities, or graduate schools (hereinafter referred to as educational institutions). Toyama Prefecture's Financial Aid for Enrolling in National Health Insurance is intended to provide medical service for peace of mind, to reduce the medical expenses of foreign students, to better the quality of students' lives in Toyama Prefecture and to contribute to the international exchange and relationships between Toyama Prefecture and other countries.
2 What Constitutes a Foreign Student?
Same as for the Toyama International Exchange Scholarship.
3 Eligible Persons and Criteria
(1) Eligible Persons
A private foreign student who has met all the following qualifications 1- 5 of the next subsection (2).
1. A foreign student who is not sponsored by the Japanese Government, Prefectural Government or dispatched by a foreign government and is enrolled in a degree program (4-year or 2-year degree) at an educational institution in Toyama Prefecture.
2. A person who resides in Toyama Prefecture, who has completed residency registration procedures in the city, town or village where he or she lives, and has received a Resident Card.
3. A person who has been recognized as having the motivation to study or research.
4. A person who is the head of the household and is enrolled in the National Health Insurance and has made consecutive National Health Insurance payments from the aforementioned school year that starting on April 1st (or from the first semester for new student) until the time of application.
5. A person who already has National Health Insurance, and is not receiving any support for National Health Insurance payment from any private groups.
6. A person who, if receiving a scholarship from a private organization or the like, the monthly amount does not exceed that of Japanese Government-supported foreign students.
4 Disbursement of Financial Aid and Other Important Information
(1) Foreign students applying for the Toyama Prefecture's Financial Aid for Enrolling in National Health Insurance must present their Resident Card and National Health Insurance Certificate (copy) and submit their application, Certificate of Enrollment in National Health Insurance (copy) and receipt of payment of insurance premiums (copy) to the educational institution to which they are applying.
(2) The Toyama International Center Foundation provides financial aid through the educational institution following verification of the application submitted by the student.
(3) The principle application periods are as follows
For person who graduates in September: August 1st to August 15th
For person who graduates at a difference period: December 1st to January 10th
5 Amount of Financial Aid
(1) For private student Monthly amount: 12,000 yen
(2) For person who graduates in September Monthly amount: 6,000 yen
as well as for person who enter school in October
Housing Guaranty Support for Foreign Students
In order for foreign students to be able to lead worry-free student lives in a stable living environment, the Toyama International Center may act as a joint guarantor when a student signs a rental agreement.
See summary of housing guaranty system
Application Criteria and Procedures
1. Eligible Persons
A person who has exchange student resident status and is currently enrolled in or has been admitted into a university, junior college, or technical college in Toyama Prefecture.
2. Eligible Housing
Housing (apartments, boarding houses, etc.) must be, in principle, from the services or introductions of Agents.
"Agents" are registered real estate brokers who endorse this housing support system. For more details, contact your educational institution's international student support center or the Toyama International Center.
3. Joint Guarantor
The Toyama International Center will act as a joint guarantor for the rental agreement between the foreign student and the landlord. However, the guarantor contract is, in principle, for one year (renewal is possible), and the guarantee is limited to the following items:
a. Default rent and its overdue fees,
b. Cost of restoring the unit to its original state upon leaving,
c. Cost of disposing household goods upon returning to home country or going missing.
Please use the "Foreign Student Housing Guaranty System Designated Contract" established by the Toyama International Center.
4. Application Requirements
The following conditions must be met in order to apply.
1. Before applying to the Toyama International Center, submit a usage application form to the educational institution.
2. Enter into the Comprehensive Renter Insurance for Foreign Students provided by the Japan Educational Exchanges and Services.
The Comprehensive Renter Insurance for Foreign Students reduces the financial burden of the guarantor in case of events such as fire. The insurance premium is 4,000 yen a year (8,000 yen for 2 years), and must be borne by the student.